THE ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION BRIGHTON BRANCH #100
To all our Serving Military, RCMP, First Responders, Health Care Workers and their families, we Thank You for your Service, Dedication and Sacrifice to ensure the safety of our Country and our Community.
Royal Canadian Legion Brighton Branch 100, Mission Statement
The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 100, Brighton is located in the Town of Brighton, Ontario. With a total membership of 400+ members Branch 100 is the largest service-oriented organization in the municipality.
The Branch’s mission is to continue the remembrance of those who gave their lives for freedom, looking after the needs of veterans, their dependent’s, and those still serving in the Canadian Forces; it is also focused on contributing to the well being of our neighbours by raising funds to support community programs, to assist local organizations, regional organizations and facilities such as medical centers, medical research facilities and communities affected by natural disasters.
The Branch’s mission is achieved through its sponsorship of seniors, youth, sports, physical and mental health, education, hospital and community care programs. As well it supports other organizations both financially and by supplying meeting rooms for events. In our community the Legion Hall is one of the main meeting places for community and social events and is a designated safe haven during emergencies.
Our mission is Veterans, Community and Service.
WELCOME TO THE ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION BRIGHTON BRANCH #100
BRIGHTON, ONTARIO CANADA
Brighton Legion has a long and celebrated history. Before the Legion became a Legion it was called a Branch of the Great War Veterans Association. A club was formed in Brighton in 1924 and in the early days this club met in the Orange Hall. It was in 1931 that the Brighton club received its charter and became the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League, Branch 100. With the end of the Second World War and the return of the service men and women, the Legion grew rapidly. By 1947 the younger veterans were in the majority. The meetings were held in the Oddfellows Hall.
This was too small, so it was decided that a Legion Hall should be built. Scotty and Ruth Broughton had a 10 room house on the corner of Park and Division Streets. Scotty offered this property to the Legion for $1. At a meeting in April 1949, it was decided to accept the generous offer of Scotty and to build the Legion Hall at this location (25 Park Street). Within a week first sod was turned. It is to the everlasting credit of the returned veterans that there were no monies expended on wages, the hall being built entirely by volunteer labour. The branch held its first meeting in the basement of the hall on Nov. 11, 1949 on a dirt floor. As a proud partner in the community we serve, Branch 100 contributes to help support many essential services. This includes seniors support services; housing and care for the elderly; drop-in centres; an Army Cadet Corps established by the Branch; community youth and sport programs; and, much more. Being a good neighbour and a valued partner in our community and giving back is more than simply a commitment – it is part of the Legion Branch 100 foundation.
Everyone is welcome and we invite all age of majority persons to join our branch and partake in our commitment to the community.
Call 613-475-1044 or stop in, you are more than Welcome!